Gluten-free, vegan, chocolate chip cookiesJanuary 17, 2011 at 10:26 pm | Posted in food | 1 Comment
Tags: babycakes, bob's red mill, chocolate chip cookies, detox, gluten free, gluten free baking, goop, gwyneth paltrow, vegan
I’ve been eating so well these past two weeks, staying away from gluten, dairy, caffeine and sugar for the most part. Over the weekend I cheated a little because I had three different get-togethers with friends and was afraid to come across as rude if I said no to everything (excuses, excuses). And while I was cheating a little, I had friends over to watch the Golden Globes. I cooked up a big pot of vegetarian curry lentil stew. For dessert I made the most scrumptious vegan, organic, gluten-free cookies which I found from Gwyneth Paltrow’s Goop newsletter about a year ago. Believe me, these cookies are delicious. Goop featured Erin McKenna, who I have a major girl crush on. She’s the owner of the little bakery shop in NYC called Babycakes which sells only gluten-free, dairy-free and mostly sugar-free goods. I love more than anything this recipe. You probably will not have the ingredients in your kitchen. I had to make a trip specifically to Whole Foods for Bob’s Red Mill products, coconut oil, and vegan chocolate chips.
Here’s a quick rundown of everything. But for more indepth instructions, visit the site here.
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 325°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and bake for 14 minutes, rotating once after nine minutes.
The cookies will be crisp on the edges and soft in the middle. Don’t overdo it or they will be tooth-cracking hard.
Let me know if you do decide to make the cookies or any other delicious gluten free meals. I would love to hear about it.
Note: Don’t worry, this is not going to turn into a cooking blog. I hardly consider myself an expert on any of this. I’m just someone who really enjoys food and trying to make healthy things as mouth-watering as possible. :)
1 Comment »
- Feels Like We Only Going Backwards
- At last I am alive – An afternoon with dirt under my nails.
- Eyes to the Soul — An Art Installation with Marina Abramovic and Ulay
- Spring at Last — Catching Up on Our Vitamin D
- Feeling Springy + in Need of Retail Therapy
- Beautiful Children Smoking — A Photographic Series
- Our Easter Weekend with the Fam
- Hands down BEST auction house to get your Mid-Century Modern furniture*
- We are all under the same moon. — A mobile art installation.
- The Best Homemade Biscuits You’ll Ever Have